The lintel low enough to keep out pomp and pride; the threshold high enough to turn deceit aside; the door-band strong enough from robbers to defend: this door will open at a touch to welcome every friend.
—Henry van Dyke Jr.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Mark Van Doren American Poet, Critic
- Stephen Vincent Benet American Poet
- Richard Wright American Novelist, Short-Story Writer
- Wendell Berry American Author, Environmentalist
- John Updike American Author
- Conrad Aiken American Poet, Novelist
- L. Frank Baum American Writer
- Bret Harte American Author
- Louis L’Amour American Novelist
- Jack Kerouac American Novelist, Poet