When I first went into the movies Lionel Barrymore played my grandfather. Later he played my father and finally my husband. If he had lived, I’m sure I would have played his mother. That’s the way it is in Hollywood. The men get younger and the women get older.
The most valuable gift I ever received was … the gift of insecurity … my father left us. My mother’s love might not have prepared me for life the way my father’s departure did. He forced us out on to the road where we had to earn our bread.
Topics: Adversity, Difficulties
You can get through life with bad manners, but it’s easier with good manners.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Mary Pickford American-Canadian Film Actress
- Cicely Tyson American Actress
- Mia Farrow American Actress, Activist
- Marie Dressler American-Canadian Actress
- Shirley Temple American Actress, Diplomat
- Jane Fonda American Actress
- Orson Welles American Film Director, Actor
- Julianne Moore American Actor
- Carrie Fisher American Actress
- Cecil B. DeMille American Filmmaker