If a man coaches himself, then he has only himself to blame when he is beaten.
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Richard Eyre British Director
- David Attenborough English Naturalist, Broadcaster
- Anthony Hopkins Welsh-American Actor
- Philip Pullman English Children’s Author, Dramatist
- Peter Ustinov British Actor, Playwright
- V. S. Pritchett British Short Story Writer
- Alec Guinness English Actor
- Richard Burton Welsh Actor
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer
- Eric Clapton British Musician