Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win.
If a man coaches himself, then he has only himself to blame when he is beaten.
The earth seemed to move with me. I found a new source of power and beauty, a source I never knew existed.
May is a very early time in the year and the weather is usually bad. You cannot run a fast mile race if there is a strong wind, because it makes your running uneven.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Richard Eyre British Director
- David Attenborough English Naturalist, Broadcaster
- Anthony Hopkins Welsh-American Actor
- Philip Pullman English Children’s Author, Dramatist
- Peter Ustinov British Actor, Playwright
- V. S. Pritchett British Short Story Writer
- Alec Guinness English Actor
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer
- Richard Burton Welsh Actor
- Eric Clapton British Musician