If a man coaches himself, then he has only himself to blame when he is beaten.
The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win.
May is a very early time in the year and the weather is usually bad. You cannot run a fast mile race if there is a strong wind, because it makes your running uneven.
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
The earth seemed to move with me. I found a new source of power and beauty, a source I never knew existed.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Richard Eyre British Director
- David Attenborough English Naturalist, Broadcaster
- Anthony Hopkins Welsh-American Actor
- Philip Pullman English Children’s Author, Dramatist
- Peter Ustinov British Actor, Playwright
- V. S. Pritchett British Short Story Writer
- Alec Guinness English Actor
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer
- Richard Burton Welsh Actor
- Eric Clapton British Musician