I have always held the old-fashioned opinion that the primary object of work of fiction should be to tell a story.
Husbands and wives talk of the cares of matrimony, and bachelors and spinsters bear them.
Any woman who is sure of her own wits, is a match, at any time, for a man who is not sure of his own temper.
The actions of human beings are not invariably governed by the laws of pure reason
We had our breakfasts—whatever happens in a house, robbery or murder, it doesn’t matter, you must have your breakfast.
The woman who first gives life, light, and form to our shadowy conceptions of beauty, fills a void in our spiritual nature that has remained unknown to us till she appeared.
Every human institution (Justice included) will stretch a little, if you only pull it the right way.
Men ruin themselves headlong for unworthy women.
Ask yourself if there is any explanation of the mystery of your own life and death.
Your tears come easy , when you’re young, and beginning the world. Your tears come easy, when you’re old, and leaving it.
Peace rules the day, where reason rules the mind.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Charles Reade British Author
- Jerome K. Jerome English Humorist, Novelist
- Charles Dickens English Novelist
- Laurence Housman English Novelist, Dramatist
- Walter Pater English Critic, Essayist
- Edward Lear English Humorist, Illustrator
- Thomas Hardy English Novelist, Poet
- Hanif Kureishi British Novelist, Screenwriter
- Patrick White Australian Novelist
- Thomas Hood British Poet, Humorist