You can’t sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You’ve got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That’s why baseball is the greatest game of them all.
I became an optimist when I discovered that I wasn’t going to win any more games by being anything else.
The job of arguing with the umpire belongs to the manager, because it won’t hurt the team if he gets thrown out of the game
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Yogi Berra American Sportsperson
- Babe Ruth American Baseball Player
- Michael Edwardes British Business Executive
- Harold Pinter British Playwright
- Neil Armstrong American Astronaut
- Derek Walcott West Indian Poet
- Mark McCormack American Sports Agent
- Dorothy Bryant American Novelist
- Sandra Day O’Connor American Jurist
- Ross Perot American Businessman