Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble.
Men strive for peace, but it is their enemies that give them strength, and I think if man no longer had enemies, he would have to invent them, for his strength only grows from struggle.
Topics: Difficulties, Adversity
Up to a point a man’s life is shaped by environment, heredity, and the movements and changes in the world around him. Then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, ‘This I am today; that I will be tomorrow.’ The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds.
Topics: Self-Discovery, Self-reliance, Tomorrow, The Future, Confidence, Attitude
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Raymond Chandler American Novelist
- Richard Wright American Novelist, Short-Story Writer
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- John Updike American Author
- Margaret Mitchell American Novelist
- Robert Anton Wilson American Polymath
- John Irving American Novelist
- John Cheever American Novelist
- George R. R. Martin American Writer
- Robert A. Heinlein American Science Fiction Writer