Good habits are worth being fanatical about.
Half my life is an act of revision.
Topics: Life and Living
Your memory is a monster; you forget – it doesn’t. It simply files things away. It keeps things for you, or hides things from you – and summons them to your recall with a will of its own. You think you have a memory; but it has you!
You’ve got to get obsessed and stay obsessed.
If you don’t feel that you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then probably what you are doing isn’t very vital. If you don’t feel like you are writing somewhat over your head, why do it? If you don’t have some doubt of your authority to tell this story, then you are not trying to tell enough.
There are few things as seemingly untouched by the real world as a child asleep.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- Raymond Chandler American Novelist
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist, Essayist
- John Cheever American Novelist
- Don DeLillo American Author
- John Updike American Author
- Richard Wright American Novelist, Short-Story Writer
- Larry McMurtry American Novelist
- Paul Auster American Novelist, Poet
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist