Technology is not an image of the world but a way of operating on reality. The nihilism of technology lies not only in the fact that it is the most perfect expression of the will to power… but also in the fact that it lacks meaning.
If we are a metaphor of the universe, the human couple is the metaphor par excellence, the point of intersection of all forces and the seed of all forms. The couple is time recaptured, the return to the time before time.
Love is an attempt at penetrating another being, but it can only succeed if the surrender is mutual.
Today we all speak, if not the same tongue, the same universal language. There is no one center, and time has lost its former coherence: East and West, yesterday and tomorrow exist as a confused jumble in each one of us. Different times and different spaces are combined in a here and now that is everywhere at once.
Modern man likes to pretend that his thinking is wide-awake. But this wide-awake thinking has led us into the mazes of a nightmare in which the torture chambers are endlessly repeated in the mirrors of reason.
Topics: Thought, Thinking, Thoughts
Literature is the expression of a feeling of deprivation, a recourse against a sense of something missing. But the contrary is also true: language is what makes us human. It is a recourse against the meaningless noise and silence of nature and history.
Topics: Literature, Books
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Seamus Heaney Irish Poet, Playwright
- Henry Steele Commager American Historian
- Maurice Baring British Author
- Taitetsu Unno American Buddhist Scholar
- Samuel Beckett Irish Novelist, Playwright
- Czeslaw Milosz Polish-American Poet, Novelist
- Maurice Maeterlinck Belgian Dramatist
- Jacinto Benavente Spanish Dramatist
- Sigrid Undset Norwegian Novelist
- Eldridge Cleaver American Author, Activist