The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.
To revolt is a natural tendency of life. Even a worm turns against the foot that crushes it. In general, the vitality and relative dignity of an animal can be measured by the intensity of its instinct to revolt.
But I recognize no infallible authority, even in special questions; consequently, whatever respect I may have for the honesty and the sincerity of such or such an individual, I have no absolute faith in any person.
I bow before the authority of special men because it is imposed upon me by my own reason.
I am truly free only when all human beings, men and women, are equally free. The freedom of other men, far from negating or limiting my freedom, is, on the contrary, its necessary premise and confirmation.
Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he does good not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it.
Topics: Goodness, Ethics
The passion for destruction is also a creative passion.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Friedrich Engels German Socialist Political Philosopher
- Ludwig Andreas Feuerbach German Philosopher
- Christopher Hitchens Anglo-American Social Critic
- Auguste Comte French Philosopher
- Karl Marx German Philosopher, Economist
- John Rawls American Philosopher
- Marshall Mcluhan Canadian Thinker
- Karl Wilhelm Friedrich Schlegel German Man of Letters
- Jose Ortega y. Gasset Spanish Philosopher
- Umberto Eco Italian Novelist