If you want to know the taste of a pear, you must change the pear by eating it yourself. If you want to know the theory and methods of revolution, you must take part in revolution. All genuine knowledge originates in direct experience.
We think too small. Like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view.
So long as a person who has made mistakes… honestly and sincerely wishes to be cured and to mend his ways, we should welcome him and cure his sickness so that he can become a good comrade. We can never succeed if we just let ourselves go and lash at him.
Weapons are an important factor in war, but not the decisive factor; it is people, not things, that are decisive. The contest of strength is not only a contest of military and economic power, but also a contest of human power and morale. Military and economic power is necessarily wielded by people.
Letting a hundred flowers blossom and a hundred schools of thought contend is the policy for promoting the progress of the arts and the sciences and a flourishing culture in our land.
A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentle, so temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Abbie Hoffman American Political Activist
- Joseph Stalin Soviet Leader
- Che Guevara Argentine-Cuban Revolutionary
- Vladimir Lenin Russian Revolutionary Leader
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Hungarian-American Biochemist
- Lillian Gish American Actress
- Freya Stark British Explorer, Writer
- Peter Gabriel English Singer-Songwriter
- Christopher Hitchens Anglo-American Social Critic
- Phil Collins British Rock Musician, Singer