The general thrust these days is: Oh, come on, it’s all in the past, nobody’s interested any more, it didn’t work, everyone knows what the Americans are like, but stop being naive, this is the world, there’s nothing to be done about it and anyway fuck it, who cares? But let me put it this way-the dead are still looking at us, waiting for us to acknowledge our part in their murder.
Topics: The Past
One way of looking at speech is to say it is a constant stratagem to cover nakedness.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Richard Eyre British Director
- Doris Lessing British Novelist, Poet
- Jonathan Miller English Stage Director
- Alain de Botton Swiss-born British Philosopher
- Oliver Sacks British Neurologist, Writer
- Ben Elton English Comedian, Writer
- Charles Reade British Author
- Alec Guinness English Actor
- Hanif Kureishi British Novelist, Screenwriter
- David Hare British Playwright, Director