An optimist is a person who sees only the lights in the picture, whereas a pessimist sees only the shadows. An idealist, however, is one who sees the light and the shadows, but in addition sees something else: the possibility of changing the picture, of making the lights prevail over the shadows.
Topics: Optimism, Ideals
Ethical religion can be real only to those who are engaged in ceaseless efforts at moral improvement. By moving upward we acquire faith in an upward movement, without limit.
To care for anyone else enough to make their problems one’s own, is ever the beginning of one’s real ethical development.
The family is the school of duties. But it has this distinguishing excellency, that among those who are linked together by the strong ties of affection duty is founded on love.
Love is the expansion of two natures in such fashion
that each include the other,
each is enriched by the other.
The hero is the one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by. The saint is the man who walks through the dark paths of the world, himself a light.
Topics: Heroes, Light, Heroism, Heroes/Heroism
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Erich Fromm German Social Philosopher
- Albert Einstein German-born Theoretical Physicist
- Emma Goldman American Anarchist
- Berthold Auerbach German Novelist
- Margaret Sanger American Social Reformer
- Jane Addams American Social Reformer
- Moses Mendelssohn German Jewish Philosopher
- Abraham Joshua Heschel American Jewish Rabbi
- Upton Sinclair American Novelist, Social Reformer
- Murray Bookchin American Political Thinker