It is perhaps significant that the adherents of war are more and more justifying it by its past record and reminding us of its ancient origin… . The little lad who stoutly defends himself on the school ground may be worthy of much admiration, but if we find him, a dozen years later, the bullying leader of a street-gang … our admiration cools amazingly.
The good we secure for ourselves is precarious and uncertain – until it is secured for all of us and incorporated into our common life.
Regret, which is guilt without the neurosis, enables us … to move forward instead of back.
America’s future will be determined by the home and the school. The child becomes largely what it is taught, hence we must watch what we teach it, how we live before it.
Topics: Education, Home, America
Of all the aspects of social misery nothing is so heartbreaking as unemployment.
What after all has maintained the human race on this old globe despite all the calamities of nature and all the tragic failings of mankind, if not faith in new possibilities and courage to advocate them?
Topics: Positive Attitudes, Optimism, Health
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Jeannette Rankin American Politician
- W. E. B. Du Bois American Sociologist, Activist
- Helen Keller American Author
- Linus Pauling American Scientist, Peace Activist
- Joan Baez American Singer
- Charles G. Dawes American Diplomat, Politician
- Barbara Ehrenreich American Social Critic
- Jimmy Carter American Head of State
- Theodore Roosevelt American Head of State
- Eugene V. Debs American Socialist