Kindness is an inner desire that makes us want to do good things even if we do not get anything in return. It is the joy of our life to do them. When we do good things from this inner desire, there is kindness in everything we think, say, want and do.
It is no proof of a man’s understanding to be able to confirm whatever he pleases; but to be able to discern that what is true is true, and that what is false is false; this is the mark and character of intelligence.
He who is in evil, is also in the punishment of evil.
To will and not to do when there is opportunity, is in reality not to will; and to love what is good and not to do it, when it is possible, is in reality not to love it.
Charity means love towards the neighbor and compassion, for anyone who loves his neighbor as himself also has as much compassion for him in his suffering as he does for himself in his own.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Friedrich Schleiermacher German Theologian
- Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz German Philosopher, Mathematician
- Ludwig Andreas Feuerbach German Philosopher
- Robert Anton Wilson American Polymath
- Karl Popper Austrian-born British Philosopher
- Jacques Derrida French Philosopher, Literary Theorist
- Hans-Georg Gadamer German Philosopher
- Zeno of Citium Greek Philosopher
- Mencius Chinese Philosopher, Sage
- John Rawls American Philosopher