Sometime in your life, hope that you might see one starved man, the look on his face when the bread finally arrives. Hope that you might have baked it or bought or even kneaded it yourself. For that look on his face, for your meeting his eyes across a piece of bread, you might be willing to lose a lot, or suffer a lot, or die a little, even.
The gift we can offer others is so simple a thing as hope.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Dorothy Day American Journalist Reformer
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- Robert Anton Wilson American Polymath
- Jane Addams American Social Reformer
- Howard Zinn American Historian, Activist
- Joan Baez American Singer
- Linus Pauling American Scientist, Peace Activist
- Mark Van Doren American Poet, Critic
- Wendell Berry American Author, Environmentalist
- Allen Ginsberg American Poet