Students must have initiative; they should not be mere imitators. They must learn to think and act for themselves—and be free.
Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot uneducate the person who as learned to read, humiliate the person who feels pride, and you cannot oppress people who are not afraid anymore.
Preservation of one’s own culture does not require contempt or disrespect for other cultures.
We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community… Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Richard Nelson Bolles American Self-Help Author
- Jane Addams American Social Reformer
- Daniel Patrick Moynihan American Academic, Politician
- Rosalynn Carter American Humanitarian, First Lady
- Bill Cosby American Actor
- Leontyne Price American Soprano
- Kirk Douglas American Actor
- Sidney Poitier American Actor, Film Director
- Martin Luther King, Jr. American Civil Rights Leader
- Helen Keller American Author