The only way to get rid of my fears is to make films about them.
A good film is when the price of the dinner, the theatre admission and the babysitter were worth it.
Luck is everything. … My good luck in life was to be a really frightened person. I’m fortunate to be a coward, to have a low threshold of fear, because a hero couldn’t make a good suspense film.
Drama is life with the dull parts cut out of it.
In the old days villains had moustaches and kicked the dog. Audiences are smarter today. They don’t want their villain to be thrown at them with green limelight on his face. They want an ordinary human being with failings.
Topics: Crime, Audiences
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Clint Eastwood American Film Director
- Steven Spielberg American Film Director
- Stanley Kubrick American Film Director
- Sylvester Stallone American Actor
- Roman Polanski French Film Director
- Akira Kurosawa Japanese Film Director
- Federico Fellini Italian Filmmaker
- Jean-luc Godard French-born Swiss Film Director
- Cary Grant British-American Film Actor
- W. H. Auden British-born American Poet