People in distress will sometimes prefer a problem that is familiar to a solution that is not.
Children enter school as question marks and leave as periods.
The point is that profound but contradictory ideas may exist side by side, if they are constructed from different materials and methods. And have different purposes. Each tells us something important about where we stand in the universe, and it is foolish to insist that they must despise each other.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Jane Addams American Social Reformer
- Abraham Maslow American Psychologist
- Albert Ellis American Psychologist
- George Steiner American Culture Critic
- Stephen Jay Gould American Paleontologist
- Emma Goldman American Anarchist
- Steven Pinker Canadian Psychologist
- Huey P. Newton American Political Activist
- Howard Zinn American Historian, Activist
- Vincent Price American Actor