No one can persuade another to change. Each of us guards a gate of change that can only be opened from the inside. We cannot open the gate of another, either by argument or emotional appeal.
Topics: Change, Arguments
The brain’s calculations do not require our conscious effort, only our attention and our openness to let the information through. Although the brain absorbs universes of information, little is admitted into normal consciousness.
Topics: Mind, The Mind
Risk always brings its own rewards: the exhilaration of breaking through, of getting to the other side; the relief of a conflict healed; the clarity when a paradox dissolves.
If we are to find our way across toubled waters, we are better served by the company of those who have built bridges, who have moved beyond despair and inertia.
Topics: Better, Despair, Water
Your past is not your potential. In any hour you can choose to liberate the future.
Fear is a question: What are you afraid of, and why?. Just as the seed of health is in illness, because illness contains information, our fears are a treasure house of self-knowledge if we explore them.
Topics: Fear, Being True to Yourself
Over the years your bodies become walking autobiographies, telling friends and strangers alike of the minor and major stresses of your lives.
Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Nathaniel Parker Willis American Poet, Playwright
- William Allen White American Editor
- Shana Alexander American Journalist
- Brenda Ueland American Journalist Memoirist
- Heywood Broun American Journalist
- Ambrose Bierce American Journalist, Author
- George Horace Lorimer American Editor
- E. L. Doctorow American Writer
- George Jean Nathan American Drama Critic
- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis American First Lady