She missed him the days when some pretext served to take him away from her, just as one misses the sun on a cloudy day without having thought much about the sun when it was shining.
I trust it will not be giving away professional secrets to say that many readers would be surprised, perhaps shocked, at the questions which some newspaper editors will put to a defenseless woman under the guise of flattery.
Topics: Authors & Writing
But the beginning of things, of a world especially, is necessarily vague, tangled, chaotic, and exceedingly disturbing.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist, Essayist
- Flannery O’Connor American Novelist
- Margaret Mitchell American Novelist
- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis American First Lady
- Edith Wharton American Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Zora Neale Hurston American Novelist
- Emily Post American Writer, Socialite
- Dorothy Canfield Fisher American Novelist
- Amy Tan Chinese-American Novelist
- Lisa Alther American Novelist