We know only four boring people. The rest of our friends we find very interesting. However, most of the friends we find interesting find us boring: the most interesting find us the most boring. The few who are somewhere in the middle, with whom there is reciprocal interest, we distrust: at any moment, we feel, they may become too interesting for us, or we too interesting for them.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist, Essayist
- Dorothy Canfield Fisher American Novelist
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist
- Zora Neale Hurston American Novelist
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- Katherine Anne Porter American Writer
- Andre Norton American Science Fiction Writer
- Amy Tan Chinese-American Novelist
- Lisa Alther American Novelist
- Maxine Hong Kingston American Novelist, Memoirist