I’m no longer sceptical. I no longer have any doubt at all. I think climate change is the major challenge facing the world.
But although denying that we have a special position in the natural world might seem becomingly modest in the eye of eternity, it might also be used as an excuse for evading our responsibilities. The fact is that no species has ever had such wholesale control over everything on earth, living or dead, as we now have. That lays upon us, whether we like it or not, an awesome responsibility. In our hands now lies not only our own future, but that of all living creatures with whom we share the earth.
An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Arthur C. Clarke English Science-fiction Writer
- Peter Medawar British Immunologist, Writer
- Roger Bannister British Athlete, Neurologist
- Daniel Day-Lewis English Actor
- Charles Darwin British Naturalist
- Philip Pullman English Children’s Author, Dramatist
- Bertrand A. Russell British Philosopher, Mathematician
- Karl Popper Austrian-born British Philosopher
- Aaron Klug English Biophysicist
- Peter Ustinov British Actor, Playwright