It is better for a woman to compete impersonally in society, as men do, than to compete for dominance in her own home with her husband, compete with her neighbors for empty status, and so smother her son that he cannot compete at all.
A woman is handicapped by her sex, and handicaps society, either by slavishly copying the pattern of man’s advance in the professions, or by refusing to compete with man at all.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Sheryl Sandberg American Executive, Author
- Howard Zinn American Historian, Activist
- Gloria Steinem American Feminist
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- Emma Lazarus American Poet, Writer
- Emma Goldman American Anarchist
- Judy Blume American Author
- Naomi Wolf American Feminist Writer
- Arthur Rubinstein American Pianist
- Studs Terkel American Oral Historian