It is better for a woman to compete impersonally in society, as men do, than to compete for dominance in her own home with her husband, compete with her neighbors for empty status, and so smother her son that he cannot compete at all.
It is easier to live through someone else than to become complete yourself.
A woman is handicapped by her sex, and handicaps society, either by slavishly copying the pattern of man’s advance in the professions, or by refusing to compete with man at all.
Aging is not ‘lost youth’ but a new stage of opportunity and strength.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Sheryl Sandberg American Executive, Author
- Howard Zinn American Historian, Activist
- Gloria Steinem American Feminist
- Naomi Wolf American Feminist Writer
- Judy Blume American Author
- Emma Lazarus American Poet, Writer
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- Emma Goldman American Anarchist
- Arthur Rubinstein American Pianist
- Larry King American TV Personality