We must exchange the philosophy of excuse—what I am is beyond my control—for the philosophy of responsibility.
Just remember the world is not a playground but a schoolroom? Life is not a holiday but an education? One eternal lesson for us all: to teach us how better we should love.
How do we create a harmonious society out of so many kinds of people? The key is tolerance—the one value that is indispensable in creating community.
I live a day at a time. Each day I look for a kernel of excitement. In the morning I say: “What is my exciting thing for today?” Then, I do the day. Don’t ask me about tomorrow.
Topics: The Present, Excitement, Living
Education remains the key to both economic and political empowerment.
Do not call for black power or green power. Call for brain power.
The stakes are too high for government to be a spectator sport.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Langston Hughes American Poet, Writer
- Duke Ellington American Musician
- Jeannette Rankin American Politician
- Gail Sheehy American Writer, Journalist
- Ella Fitzgerald American Singer, Composer
- Clare Boothe Luce American Playwright
- Shirley Chisholm American Politician
- Lyndon B. Johnson American Head of State
- Vaclav Havel Czech Dramatist, Statesman
- Margaret Chase Smith American Politician