It is not in the still calm of life, or the repose of a pacific station, that great characters are formed … The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties. All history will convince you of this, and that wisdom and penetration are the fruit of experience, not the lessons of retirement and leisure. Great necessities call out great virtues.
Topics: Virtues, Adversity, Virtue, Challenges, Difficulties, Difficulty
We have too many high-sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them.
Remember the ladies, and be more generous and favorable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands.
Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the Ladies we are determined to foment a Rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice, or Representation.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Barbara Bush American First Lady
- Eleanor Roosevelt American Humanitarian
- Martha Washington American First Lady
- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis American First Lady
- Mary Todd Lincoln American First lady
- Soong Mei-ling Chinese Political Figure
- John Quincy Adams American Head of State
- John Adams American Head of State
- Lady Bird Johnson First Lady of the United States
- Hillary Rodham Clinton American Head of State