There is only beauty—and it has only one perfect expression—poetry. All the rest is a lie—except for those who live by the body, love, and, that love of the mind, friendship. For me, Poetry takes the place of love, because it is enamored of itself, and because its sensual delight falls back deliciously in my soul.
Topics: Poetry, Poets
Dreams have as much influence as actions
All thoughts emit a throw of dice
Poetry is the language of a state of crisis.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Gerard de Nerval French Poet, Writer
- Paul Valery French Critic, Poet
- Alfred de Musset French Poet, Playwright
- Michel Leiris French Surrealist Writer, Ethnographer
- Nicolas Boileau-Despreaux French Literary Critic
- Edgar Quinet French Intellectual
- Arthur Rimbaud French Poet
- Remy de Gourmont French Poet
- Charles Baudelaire French Poet
- Michel Houellebecq French Author