The Sun, the hearth of affection and life, pours burning love on the delighted earth.
For a long time I found the celebrities of modern painting and poetry ridiculous. I loved absurd pictures, fanlights, stage scenery, mountebanks backcloths, inn-signs, cheap colored prints; unfashionable literature, church Latin, pornographic books badly spelt, grandmothers novels, fairy stories, little books for children, old operas, empty refrains, simple rhythms.
Topics: Taste, Style
There is a woman who spent her life loving that evil creature: she died. I’m sure she’s a saint in heaven right now. You are going to kill me the way he killed that woman.That is what’s in store for all of us who have unselfish hearts.
I is another.
I saw that all beings are fated to happiness: action is not life, but a way of wasting some force, an enervation. Morality is the weakness of the brain.
Topics: Morality, Expectation, Disillusion
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Charles Baudelaire French Poet
- Jean Cocteau French Poet, Artist
- Remy de Gourmont French Poet
- Jean de La Fontaine French Poet
- Guillaume Apollinaire Italian-born French Poet
- Alphonse de Lamartine French Poet, Politician, Historian
- Victor Hugo French Novelist
- Marquis de Sade French Political leader
- Michel Houellebecq French Author
- Roland Barthes French Literary Theorist