The world does not speak. Only we do. The world can, once we have programmed ourselves with a language, cause us to hold beliefs. But it cannot propose a language for us to speak. Only other human beings can do that.
Topics: Conversation, Speech
Open-mindedness should not be fostered because, as Scripture teaches, Truth is great and will prevail, nor because, as Milton suggests, Truth will always win in a free and open encounter. It should be fostered for its own sake.
Topics: Awareness, Perception
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Hilary Putnam American Philosopher
- Jacques Derrida French Philosopher, Literary Theorist
- Noam Chomsky American Linguist, Philosopher, Social Critic
- Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz German Philosopher, Mathematician
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- Daniel C. Dennett American Philosopher, Atheist
- Umberto Eco Italian Novelist
- Philip Roth American Novelist, Short-story Writer
- William James American Philosopher
- Charles Sanders Peirce American Philosopher