One must act in painting as in life, directly.
If there were only one truth, you couldn’t paint a hundred canvases on the same theme.
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
When I was a child, my mother said to me,
If you become a soldier you’ll be a general.
If you become a monk you’ll end up as the pope.
Instead I became a painter and wound up as Picasso.
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.
We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth, at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies.
Topics: Lies, Art, Artists
Every child is born an artist. The trick is to remain an artist.
We don’t grow older, we grow riper.
If everybody is looking for it, then nobody is finding it. If we were cultured, we would not be conscious of lacking culture. We would regard it as something natural and would not make so much fuss about it. And if we knew the real value of this word we would be cultured enough not to give it so much importance.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Georges Braque French Painter
- Miguel de Unamuno Spanish Philosopher, Writer
- Edgar Degas French Painter
- Michelangelo Italian Painter
- Grandma Moses American Painter
- Claude Monet French Painter
- Miguel de Cervantes Spanish Novelist
- George Santayana Spanish-American Poet, Philosopher
- Lope de Vega Spanish Playwright
- Jacinto Benavente Spanish Dramatist