An aristocracy in a republic is like a chicken whose head has been cut off: it may run about in a lively way, but in fact it is dead.
The great advantage of living in a large family is that early lesson of life’s essential unfairness.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Jackie Collins English Romance Novelist
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer
- Anita Brookner English Novelist, Art Historian
- Rosamond Lehmann English Novelist
- Penelope Fitzgerald British Novelist, Biographer
- Elizabeth Goudge English Novelist
- Joan Aiken British Fantasy Writer
- Barbara Cartland English Romantic Novelist
- Dorothy L. Sayers English Novelist, Playwright
- Frances Hodgson Burnett British Novelist, Playwright