A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
Topics: Truth, Science
An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents; it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that it opponents gradually die out and that the growing generation is familiarized with the idea from the beginning.
Science advances funeral by funeral.
Anybody who has been seriously engaged is scientific work of any kind realizes that over the entrance to the gates of the temple of science are written the words: ‘Ye must have faith.’ It is a quality which the scientist cannot dispense with.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Werner Heisenberg German Theoretical Physicist
- Niels Bohr Danish Physicist
- Albert Einstein German-born Theoretical Physicist
- Isaac Newton English Physicist
- Richard Feynman American Physicist
- Stephen Hawking English Theoretical Physicist
- Thomas Mann German Novelist
- Marie Curie Polish-born French Physicist
- Wilhelm von Humboldt German Statesman, Scholar
- Arthur Compton American Physicist