Growing older, I have lost the need to be political, which means, in this country, the need to be left. I am driven into grudging toleration of the Conservative Party because it is the party of non-politics, of resistance to politics.
Topics: Politicians, Politics
The ideal of brotherhood of man, the building of the Just City, is one that cannot be discarded without lifelong feelings of disappointment and loss. But, if we are to live in the real world, discard it we must. Its very nobility makes the results of its breakdown doubly horrifying, and it breaks down, as it always will, not by some external agency but because it cannot work.
When I find someone I respect writing about an edgy, nervous wine that dithered in the glass, I cringe. When I hear someone I don’t respect talking about an austere, unforgiving wine, I turn a bit austere and unforgiving myself. When I come across stuff like that and remember about the figs and bananas, I want to snigger uneasily. You can call a wine red, and dry, and strong, and pleasant. After that, watch out.
Outside every fat man there was an even fatter man trying to close in.
A German wine label is one of the things lifes too short for, a daunting testimony to that peculiar nations love of detail and organization.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Terry Pratchett English Fantasy Writer
- Anthony Burgess English Novelist, Critic
- Douglas Adams British Author
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer
- Hanif Kureishi British Novelist, Screenwriter
- Ian McEwan (b.1948) British Novelist, Short-story Writer
- L. P. Hartley British Writer, Critic
- Philip Pullman English Children’s Author, Dramatist
- Peter Ustinov British Actor, Playwright
- Anthony Hopkins Welsh-American Actor