The great mass of women throughout history have been confined to the cultural level of animal life in providing the male with sexual outlet and exercising the animal functions of reproduction and care of the young.
The concept of romantic love affords a means of emotional manipulation which the male is free to exploit, since love is the only circumstance in which the female is (ideologically) pardoned for sexual activity.
Perhaps nothing is so depressing an index of the inhumanity of the male-supremacist mentality as the fact that the more genial human traits are assigned to the underclass: affection, response to sympathy, kindness, cheerfulness.
Topics: Men & Women
However muted its present appearance may be, sexual dominion obtains nevertheless as perhaps the most pervasive ideology of our culture and provides its most fundamental concept of power.
Isn’t privacy about keeping taboos in their place?
Coitus can scarcely be said to take place in a vacuum; although of itself it appears a biological and physical activity, it is set so deeply within the larger context of human affairs that it serves as a charged microcosm of the variety of attitudes and values to which culture subscribes. Among other things, it may serve as a model of sexual politics on an individual or personal plane.
Prostitution, when unmotivated by economic need, might well be defined as a species of psychological addiction, built on self-hatred through repetitions of the act of sale by which a whore is defined.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- Carson McCullers American Novelist
- Muriel Rukeyser American Poet
- Audre Lorde American Poet, Feminist
- Rita Mae Brown American Writer, Feminist
- Angela Davis American Political Activist
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman American Feminist, Writer
- Mary Pickford American-Canadian Film Actress
- Joan Didion American Essayist, Novelist, Memoirist
- Francoise Sagan French Novelist