When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.
Of all God’s gifts to the sighted man, color is holiest, the most divine, the most solemn.
God has lent us the earth for our life; it is a great entail. It belongs as much to those who are to come after us, and whose names are already written in the book of creation, as to us; and we have no right, by anything that we do or neglect, to involve them in unnecessary penalties, or deprive them of benefits which it was in our power to bequeath.
Let every dawn of the morning be to you as the beginning of life. And let every setting of the sun be to you as its close. Then let everyone of these short lives leave its sure record of some kindly thing done for others; some good strength of knowledge gained for yourself.
The virtue of the imagination is its reaching, by intuition and intensity, a more essential truth than is seen at the surface of things.
There is material enough in a single flower for the ornament of a score of cathedrals.
In every person who comes near you, look for what is good and strong; honor that; try to imitate it, and your faults will drop off like dead leaves when their time comes.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- John Churton Collins English Literary Critic
- Jeremy Collier English Anglican Clergyman
- F. L. Lucas English Literary Critic
- Coventry Patmore English Poet
- William Ernest Henley English Poet
- Russell Lynes American Art Historian
- George Lois American Art Director
- Bernard Berenson Russian-born American Art Historian
- George Henry Lewes English Philosopher
- Bernard Mandeville Anglo-Dutch Philosopher, Satirist