The reality is that changes are coming… They must come. You must share in bringing them.
The crux of the matter is whether total war in its present form is justifiable, even when it serves a just purpose. Does it not have material and spiritual evil as its consequences which far exceed whatever good might result? When will our moralists give us an answer to this question?
Journalism allows its readers to witness history; fiction gives its readers an opportunity to live it.
Mankind must destroy anti-humanity before it becomes extinct itself.
What has kept the world safe from the bomb since 1945 has not been deterrence, in the sense of fear of specific weapons, so much as it’s been memory. The memory of what happened at Hiroshima.
A writer is bound to have varying degrees of success, and I think that that is partly an issue of how central the burden of the story is to the author’s psyche.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- William Dean Howells American Writer, Critic
- Raymond Chandler American Novelist
- Thomas Wolfe American Novelist
- Ellery Queen American Crime Fiction Authors
- Lloyd Alexander American Writer
- Lionel Trilling American Critic
- John Updike American Author
- Sinclair Lewis American Novelist
- E. B. White American Essayist, Humorist