Experience guides us in this choice without forcing it upon us; it tells us not which is the truest geometry, but which is the most convenient.
The task of the educator is to make the child’s spirit pass again where its forefathers have gone, moving rapidly through certain stages but suppressing none of them.
It is only the affirmation of the power of the mind which knows itself capable of conceiving the indefinite repetition of the same act when once this act is possible. The mind has a direct intuition of this power, and experience can only give occasion for using it and thereby becoming conscious of it.
A scientist worthy of the name, above all a mathematician, experiences in his work the same impression as an artist; his pleasure is as great and of the same nature.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Claude Levi-Strauss French Anthropologist
- Jean Baudrillard French Sociologist, Philosopher
- Gaston Bachelard French Philosopher
- Jacques Derrida French Philosopher, Literary Theorist
- Marie Curie Polish-born French Physicist
- Guy de Maupassant French Short-story Writer
- Louis Pasteur French Biologist
- Rene Descartes French Mathematician, Philosopher
- Albert Camus Algerian-born French Philosopher
- Jean de La Bruyere French Author