There is no greater joy than that of feeling oneself a creator. The triumph of life is expressed by creation.
Intelligence is the faculty of making artificial objects, especially tools to make tools.
Religion is to mysticism what popularization is to science
The only cure for vanity is laughter, and the only fault that is laughable is vanity.
An absolute can only be given in an intuition, while all the rest has to do with analysis. We call intuition here the sympathy by which one is transported into the interior of an object in order to coincide with what there is unique and consequently inexpressible in it. Analysis, on the contrary, is the operation which reduces the object to elements already known.
We regard intelligence as man’s main characteristic and we know that there is no superiority which intelligence cannot confer on us, no inferiority for which it cannot compensate
To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.
Sex appeal is the keynote of our civilization
There is no perception that is not full of memories.
To perceive means to immobilize… we seize, in the act of perception, something which outruns perception itself.
Wherever anything lives, there is, open somewhere, a register in which time is being inscribed.
Laughter is the corrective force which prevents us from becoming cranks.
Think like a man of action, and act like a man of thought.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Jean-Paul Sartre French Philosopher
- Michel Foucault French Philosopher
- Simone de Beauvoir French Philosopher
- Albert Camus Algerian-born French Philosopher
- Voltaire French Philosopher, Author
- Georges Bataille French Essayist, Intellectual
- Roland Barthes French Literary Theorist
- Jacques Derrida French Philosopher, Literary Theorist
- Gaston Bachelard French Philosopher
- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin French Jesuit Scientist