Quotations are useful in periods of ignorance or obscurantist beliefs.
Young people everywhere have been allowed to choose between love and a garbage disposal unit. Everywhere they have chosen the garbage disposal unit.
Ideas improve. The meaning of words participates in the improvement. Plagiarism is necessary. Progress implies it. It embraces an author’s phrase, makes use of his expressions, erases a false idea, and replaces it with the right idea.
There is nothing more natural than to consider everything as starting from oneself, chosen as the center of the world; one finds oneself thus capable of condemning the world without even wanting to hear its deceitful chatter.
Topics: Ego, Egotism
It is hardly surprising that children should enthusiastically start their education at an early age with the Absolute Knowledge of computer science; while they are unable to read, for reading demands making judgments at every line. Conversation is almost dead, and soon so too will be those who knew how to speak.
In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles. Everything that was directly lived has moved away into a representation.
Art need no longer be an account of past sensations. It can become the direct organization of more highly evolved sensations. It is a question of producing ourselves, not things that enslave us.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Henri de Montherlant French Essayist, Novelist, Dramatist
- Simone de Beauvoir French Philosopher
- Jean-Paul Sartre French Philosopher
- Michel Houellebecq French Author
- Abbie Hoffman American Political Activist
- Karl Marx German Philosopher, Economist
- Frantz Fanon Algerian Political Theorist
- Umberto Eco Italian Novelist
- Jean Cocteau French Poet, Artist
- Michel Foucault French Philosopher