Be steady and well-ordered in your life so that you can be fierce and original in your work.
Do not read, as children do, to amuse yourself, or like the ambitious, for the purpose of instruction. No, read in order to live.
The most glorious moments in your life are not the so-called days of success, but rather those days when out of dejection and despair you feel rise in you a challenge to life, and the promise of future accomplishments.
Topics: Courage, Virtues
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Guy de Maupassant French Short-story Writer
- Jean Cocteau French Poet, Artist
- Jules Renard French Author, Diarist
- Jean Giono French Novelist
- Victor Hugo French Novelist
- Anatole France French Novelist
- Andre Gide French Novelist
- Marcel Proust French Novelist
- Remy de Gourmont French Poet
- Michel Houellebecq French Author