A man who waits to believe in action before acting is anything you like, but he’s not a man of action. It is as if a tennis player before returning a ball stopped to think about his views of the physical and mental advantages of tennis. You must act as you breathe.
America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.
Topics: Doubt, Knowledge, America
War is much too serious a matter to be entrusted to the military.
A man’s life is interesting primarily when he has failed, I well know. For it’s a sign that he tried to surpass himself.
Topics: Mistakes, Failure, Wisdom, Failures, Life, Living Well
When a man asks himself what is meant by action he proves that he isn’t a man of action. Action is a lack of balance. In order to act you must be somewhat insane. A reasonably sensible man is satisfied with thinking.
In order to act, you must be somewhat insane. A reasonably sensible man is satisfied with thinking.
On September 17, 1914, Erzberger, the well-known German statesman, an eminent member of the Catholic Party, wrote to the Minister of War, General von Falkenhayn, We must not worry about committing an offence against the rights of nations nor about violating the laws of humanity. Such feelings today are of secondary importance? A month later, on October 21, 1914, he wrote in Der Tag, If a way was found of entirely wiping out the whole of London it would be more humane to employ it than to allow the blood of A SINGLE GERMAN SOLDIER to be shed on the battlefield!
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Julien Offray de La Mettrie French Physician
- Charles de Gaulle French General, Statesman
- Deepak Chopra Indian-born American Physician
- Edward de Bono British Psychologist, Writer
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. American Physician, Essayist
- William Osler Canadian Physician
- Viktor Frankl Austrian Psychiatrist
- Wilhelm Stekel Austrian Physician
- Marquis de Sade French Political leader
- Stanislas de Boufflers French Political leader