This seems to be the law of progress in everything we do; it moves along a spiral rather than a perpendicular; we seem to be actually going out of the way, and yet it turns out that we were really moving upward all the time.
No matter how one may think himself accomplished, when he sets out to learn a new language, science, or the bicycle, he has entered a new realm as truly as if he were a child newly born into the world.
The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum.
Temperance is moderation in the things that are good and total abstinence from the things that are foul.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman American Feminist, Writer
- Maria Mitchell American Astronomer
- Carrie Chapman Catt American Suffragist
- Jane Addams American Social Reformer
- John Neal American Author, Critic
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton American Social Reformer
- Alice Stone Blackwell American Suffragist
- Susan B. Anthony American Civil Rights Leader
- Jeannette Rankin American Politician
- Gertrude Stein American Writer