Possession is eleven points in the law.
Who fears to offend takes the first step to please.
That same face of yours looks like the title-page to a whole volume of roguery.
Our hours in love have wings; in absence, crutches.
You know, one had as good be out of the world, as out of the fashion.
Thou strange piece of wild nature!
When we are conscious of the least comparative merit in ourselves, we should take as much care to conceal the value we set upon it as if it were a real defect; to be elated or vain upon it is showing your money before people in want.
The happy have whole days,
and those they choose.
The unhappy have but hours,
and those they lose.
Tea! Thou soft, thou sober, sage, and venerable liquid, thou innocent pretence for bringing the wicked of both sexes together in a morning; thou female tongue-running, smile-smoothing, heart-opening, wink-tipping cordial, to whose glorious insipidity I owe the happiest moment of my life, let me fall prostrate thus, and adore thee.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- William Congreve English Dramatist
- Christopher Marlowe English Playwright
- John Dryden English Poet
- Laurence Olivier English Actor, Producer,, Director
- J. B. Priestley British Novelist, Playwright, Essayist
- Joan Collins English Actress
- Herbert Beerbohm Tree English Actor-Manager
- John Masefield English Poet
- Arthur Wing Pinero English Playwright
- Lope de Vega Spanish Playwright