I could never hate anyone I knew.
The greatest pleasure I know is to do a good action by stealth, and to have it found out by accident.
The good things of life are not to be had singly, but come to us with a mixture; like a schoolboy’s holiday, with a task affixed to the tail of it.
Pain is life—the sharper, the more evidence of life.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- John Keats English Poet
- Daniel Defoe English Writer
- John Donne English Poet, Cleric
- Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie English Novelist, Biographer
- Geoffrey Chaucer English Poet
- Freeman Dyson American Physicist, Author
- J. K. Rowling English Novelist
- Wilkie Collins English Novelist, Playwright
- Stephen Spender English Poet, Critic
- Thomas Hood British Poet, Humorist