We’d like to fight but we fear defeat, we’d like to work but we’re feeling too weak, we’d like to be sick but we’d get the sack, we’d like to behave, we’d like to believe, we’d like to love, but we’ve lost the knack.
There’s a kind of release
And a kind of torment in every goodbye for every man.
First, I do not sit down at my desk to put into verse something that is already clear in my mind. If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand.
Topics: Creativity, Writing, Writers, Authors & Writing
To travel like a bird, lightly to view
Deserts where stone gods founder in the sand,
Ocean embraced in a white sleep with land;
To escape time, always to start anew…
Hooded by a dark sense of destination…
Travelers, we’re fabric of the road we go; We settle, but like feathers on time’s flow.
Topics: New, God, Light, Sleep
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Dorothy L. Sayers English Novelist, Playwright
- Mark Van Doren American Poet, Critic
- Raymond Chandler American Novelist
- L. P. Hartley British Writer, Critic
- Agatha Christie British Novelist
- G. K. Chesterton English Journalist
- Margery Allingham British Author
- H. C. Bailey English Novelist
- Gabriela Mistral Chilean Poet
- Dennis Potter English Dramatist