You can be up to your boobies in white satin, with gardenias in your hair and no sugar cane for miles, but you can still be working on a plantation.
If you think dope is for kicks and for thrills, you’re out of your mind. There are more kicks to be had in a good case of paralytic polio or by living in an iron lung. If you think you need stuff to play music or sing, you’re crazy. It can fix you so you can’t play nothing or sing nothing.
I can’t stand to sing the same song the same way two nights in succession, let alone two years or ten years. If you can, then it ain’t music, it’s close-order drill, or exercise or yodeling or something, not music.
Dope never helped anybody sing better or play music better or do anything better. All dope can do for you is kill you – and kill you the long, slow, hard way.
Sometimes it’s worse to win a fight than to lose.
People don’t understand the sort of fight it takes to record what you want, to record the way you want to record it.
If I don’t have friends, then I ain’t got nothin’.
In this country, don’t forget, a habit is no damn private hell. There’s no solitary confinement outside of jail. A habit is hell for those you love. And in this country it’s the worst kind of hell for those who love you.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Fred Astaire American Dancer, Singer
- Ella Fitzgerald American Singer, Composer
- Lena Horne American Singer, Actress
- Duke Ellington American Musician
- Frank Sinatra American Singer
- Judy Garland American Actress, Singer
- Louis Armstrong American Musician
- Doris Day American Actor
- Dolly Parton American Musician, Actress
- Sammy Davis, Jr. American Singer