Great control of every motion and placement is a kind of self-care. It’s self-love in the best sense. I make a contract with the dancers (not literally, of course) to keep them alive and well and progressive—doing level best to see that they’re not injured. Dancing is not normal, that only a strong, knowledgeable body can protect against damage.
Making social comment is an artificial place for an artist to start from. If an artist is touched by some social condition, what the artist creates will reflect that, but you can’t force it.
Topics: Artists, Art
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Fred Astaire American Dancer, Singer
- Ella Fitzgerald American Singer, Composer
- Martha Graham American Choreographer
- Agnes de Mille American Dancer
- Johnny Carson American Comedian
- Lew Wasserman American Entertainment Executive
- Art Linkletter Canadian-born American Radio Personality
- Shirley Temple American Actress, Diplomat
- Zsa Zsa Gabor Hungarian-born Film Actress
- Kenneth Tynan English Theatre Critic, Writer