If a book is really good, it deserves to be read again, and if it’s great, it should be read at least three times.
In an age like ours, which is not given to letter-writing, we forget what an important part it used to play in people’s lives.
We are all tourists in history, and irony is what we win in wars.
The first divorce in the world may have been a tragedy, but the hundred-millionth is not necessarily one.
There was a time when we expected nothing of our children but obedience, as opposed to the present, when we expect everything of them but obedience.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Bayard Taylor American Poet
- George Edward Woodberry American Literary Critic
- Harold Bloom American Literary Critic, Author
- Van Wyck Brooks American Literary Critic
- Diana Trilling American Literary Critic
- John Churton Collins English Literary Critic
- Francis Jeffrey, Lord Jeffrey Scottish Judge, Critic
- F. L. Lucas English Literary Critic
- Alexander Woollcott American Critic
- Louis Kronenberger American Literary Critic