Women, like men, ought to have their youth so glutted with freedom they hate the very idea of freedom.
It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment? For the moment passes, it is forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone. That is where the writer scores over his fellows: he catches the changes of his mind on the hop. Growth is exciting; growth is dynamic and alarming. Growth of the soul, growth of the mind.
Topics: Writing, Writers, Authors & Writing
It is very necessary to have markers of beauty left in a world seemingly bent on making the most evil ugliness.
Ambition, old as mankind, the immemorial weakness of the strong.
Summer makes a silence after spring.
I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidences of the determination to live.
Serenity of spirit and turbulence of action should make up the sum of a man’s life.
The man who has planted a garden feels that he has done something for the good of the world.
Every garden-maker should be an artist along his own lines. That is the only possible way to create a garden, irespective of size or wealth.
The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look forward to doing something better than they have ever done before
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Virginia Woolf English Novelist
- E. M. Forster English Novelist
- William Shenstone English Poet
- Eliza Cook English Author
- Aleister Crowley English Occultist
- Anne Bradstreet American Poet
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning English Poet
- Letitia Elizabeth Landon English Poet, Novelist
- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu English Aristocrat, Poet
- Christina Rossetti English Poet