Since the majority of me
Rejects the majority of you,
Debating ends forthwith, and we
For we have thought the longer thoughts
And gone the shorter way.
And we have danced to devil’s tunes
Shivering home to pray;
I take you now and for always,
For always is always now.
My mother, who hates thunderstorms,
Holds up each summer day and shakes
It out suspiciously, lest swarms
Of grape-dark clouds are lurking there….
Above all, though, children are linked to adults by the simple fact that they are in process of turning into them. For this they may be forgiven much. Children are bound to be inferior to adults, or there is no incentive to grow up.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge English Poet
- Percy Bysshe Shelley English Poet
- Algernon Charles Swinburne English Poet
- Letitia Elizabeth Landon English Poet, Novelist
- John Masefield English Poet
- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu English Aristocrat, Poet
- William Wordsworth English Poet
- Abraham Cowley English Poet
- William Blake English Poet
- Robert Browning English Poet