Thrift is that habit of character that prompts one to work for what he gets, to earn what is paid him; to invest a part of his earnings; to spend wisely and well; to save, but not hoard.
Topics: Economy, Thrift
We should seek by all means in our power to avoid war, by analyzing possible causes, by trying to remove them, by discussion in a spirit of collaboration and good will. I cannot believe that such a program would be rejected by the people of this country, even if it does mean the establishment of personal contact with the dictators.
How horrible, fantastic, incredible it is that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas masks here because of a quarrel in a far-away country between people of whom we know nothing. It seems still more impossible that a quarrel which has already been settled in principle should be the subject of war.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Ramsay MacDonald British Head of State
- Winston Churchill British Head of State
- David Lloyd George British Liberal Statesman
- Harold Macmillan British Head of State
- Benjamin Disraeli British Head of State
- William Ewart Gladstone English Liberal Statesman
- Margaret Thatcher British Head of State
- Nancy Astor, Viscountess Astor American-born British Politician
- E. F. L. Wood, 1st Earl of Halifax British Politician
- Oliver Cromwell British Head of State